Friday 26 September 2014

The Needleworker's Dictionary

For the past few weeks I have been engrossed in The Needleworker's Dictionary,
which a friend has lent me. I am pretty sure that I will have to buy a copy for myself!
The book is far more than a dictionary, more like an encyclopedia. It is arranged in alphabetical order, so you can look up anything related to needlework, but the range of information is astonishing.  There are definitions of stitches, embroidery terms, the history of needlework, foreign terms, ethnic embroidery and so much more. I particularly like the number of illustrations, an unbelievable 350 photos, 300 drawings and 56 colour plates. It feels like strolling through a museum. A fabulous book, to pick up time and time again. It is hard to believe that it was written in 1976.


No comments:

Post a Comment