Saturday 8 May 2010

Scandinavian box

This term's class project is a box, which we have to make and decorate with embroidery. Those of you who know me will know that I have always loved Scandinavian style. I aspire to one day having a clear,clutter-free house with soft colours, wooden floors and sheer fabrics. I do already have some of these things, but can't see the clutter disappearing while my sons are still living at home (or storing their stuff here if they are living away!) So I have chosen for my design to look at Scandinavian style-interior design colours, embroidery and folk motifs.

I am going to make myself a box for my earrings. This will mean that I no longer lose them, or have one of a pair of my favourites-or that I have to wear the same pair for weeks as I can't find any others! I want to make a box to go on my dressing table, to go with my collection of boxes which DH brings me from all over the world.


This is the motif on my 1920's fireplace, which I am astonished to find is actually a very Scandinavian motif. I am going to use this and the colours I used to pick it out 20 years ago, when we first moved here. I have also just painted our bedroom in Scandinavian colours, a lovely pale greeny blue combined with a darker greeny blue and cream.


Pictures from a book about Scandinavian folk motifs, which I coloured in, experimenting with colours

No comments:

Post a Comment