Saturday 6 February 2010









Progression of design for wallhanging


This is my source photo





I made a collage with fabric and paper, roughly echoing the textures and colours in the photo



I made a rough pastel sketch showing textures and colours used in the photo




I divided a seascape photo into squares and rearranged them as collage , rotating each one before placing it on the paper. I repeated the exercise with tiny squares from the source photo using a photocopy



Then I tried experimenting with strips from the source photo

First just dividing up the picture. Then trying it in 3 larger sections


Then turning the strips vertically and mixing them
up, also turning some of them


In the last design I took one of the tiny squares and drew lines out from it, using the original colours


Now I have to focus and stop playing around too much with the design. As soon as I decide where I am going with this, and which design to use, I can get on and make the working rough which I need to have ready for Thursday's class. Maybe if I put the sketchbook to one side and work on something else inspiration will strike from my subconscious!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to see the thought process - I was especially struck by the fabric and paper collage and the very simple cutting up into strips & arranging horizontally or vertically.

    ...mind you, whichever way you arrange things, 1 metre is a very large space to fill!!

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete