Monday 1 February 2010

Design work for Wallhanging


I am a student at East Berkshire College, Windsor. This is the second year of my course, which is 7922 City and Guilds Embroidery and Stitched Textiles Level 3, to give it its full title. Every Thursday a group of students gather together at Windsor for another week of demonstrations, learning new techniques, experimenting with colours, textures, fabrics, materials and stitch, and cramming our brains to bursting point. The day goes so fast and we cover so much ground that I wanted to share it with you.

This term I have just started design work on my wallhanging. The first week the classwork involved working on a large scale,designing on paper hung on the walls to get the full scale effect. The panels are to be at least 1metre on one side, which seems awfully big to me, as I have previously worked on smaller projects. As the whole point of the course (well to me,anyway) seems to be to push yourself out of your comfort zone, I will regard this as a new challenge!

Last week the design work involved playing with scraps of fabric and paper to assess colour combinations and composition. I am considering the concept of "coast" for my hanging. I have been collecting source photos and magasine pictures, but have no real idea where it is going at this stage




No comments:

Post a Comment